Surface Media is a storytelling company that looks at the world through the lens of design. It includes print magazines Surface and Watch Journal; digital platforms at surfacemag.com and watchjournal.com; a custom publishing division, Surface Studios; a designer focused representation agency, Culture+Commerce; and a highly regarded event program including the Design Dialogues series. Surface is launching several new initiatives and is looking for creative and motivated individuals to join its growing team. Watch Journal celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2017 and Surface magazine is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2018.
Surface Media is seeking a Photo and Multimedia Producer to join our growing team. The right candidate will combine an eye for elevated storytelling and on-trend taste with a multifaceted photo and video skill set that can be applied to editorial, social, and partner content. The Photo and Multimedia Producer will be in charge of generating innovative, future-forward ideas to advance and streamline how we capture, collect, and manage photo and video content.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated and ready to hit the ground running. Must be a team player who thrives on tight deadlines, with impeccable organization and communication skills. Must have fluency in photo/video best practices and an ongoing knowledge of new ways to use technology and equipment for the digital media/publishing and marketing space, and a resourceful desire to continue learning new skills. Must be someone who genuinely enjoys their work and maintains a collaborative, positive attitude in a fast-paced environment.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Photo and Video Shoots:
- Hire and assign videographers, photographers, animators, and other contributors for all Surface Media platforms: SurfaceMag.com, Surface magazine, Watch Journal, and Surface Studios
- Organize shoots around the world setting production schedules and deadlines in partnership with the managing editor
- Expand Surface Media’s stable of trusted contributors and ensure all work adheres to brand guidelines and creative direction
- Manage budgets and creative contracts, assessing best contributor, production style, and equipment for the job and using strong negotiation skills
- Write briefs for photographers and videographers under the guidance of the Art Director
- Compile and distribute call sheets for all shoots
- Work with editors from across the company to ensure each story includes the best and most appropriate media
- Select and edit photos in each publication with oversight from the Art Director
- Shoot occasional pieces for social media, web, and print publications
- Be responsible for any light retouching and color-correcting before photos are published for shoots, pickup, and in-house media.
- Ensuring that our media is of high quality, resolution, focus, clarity, and the like.
- Finalize short video pieces, as well as video shot in-house or by editors, working with freelancers when necessary
- Work with the marketing and events teams to confirm consistent photography and video talent and execution for all Surface Media events
Photo and video management:
- Manage media storage and archiving
- Manage all company photo and video equipment including cameras, lenses, etc.
- Set up and manage an in-house photo/video studio with oversight from the Art Director
- 5+ years of industry experience (working at a magazine, media company, digital/advertising agency, etc.)
- A passion for visual storytelling
- Knowledge of best and fastest practices for photo/video quality, enhancement, and processing
- Passion for following and integrating latest trends and developments in visual content creation
- Bachelor’s degree in arts, media, photography, or applied communication fields
- A portfolio of own videography, plus tears/examples of work produced/edited at previous jobs. Social media examples are a plus.
- Relationships with a range of photographers and video contributors to bring fresh talent to our creative pool
- Resourcefulness, diligence, attention to detail, creative problem-solving, and organizational skills, plus strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects both daily and long-term, and to adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent skills in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Bridge, and Lightroom
- Working knowledge of InDesign and InCopy
- Knowledge of camera operation, lighting, and sound setup
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and salary requirements along with a link to your website or portfolio for consideration.