Surface Media sees the world through the lens of design. With engaging video, striking photography, and incisive writing, we tell the stories of the people and ideas shaping contemporary culture. Surface serves as a compass for creative leaders, highlighting what’s new and what’s next in design. Surface Media’s storytelling properties include: Surface magazine and Watch Journal; digital platforms at surfacemag.com and watchjournal.com; and our custom publishing division, Surface Studios.
Surface Magazine is the American authority on global design. For 25 years, we have produced thought-provoking content on architecture, art, design, travel, fashion, and culture. We set the standard for great design across a vast range of creative disciplines and industries.
Watch Journal is the leading trade publication for the timepiece industry. A magazine for the modern collector, Watch Journal brings luxury brands to life through editorial content reflective of the lifestyle and culture of the modern timepiece aficionado.
The List is a recently-launched directory for all things Surface-approved. The List is an online resource for Surface’s design-savvy audience to discover top-quality brands and firms endorsed by our editors.
We are currently seeking a Director level manager to own the growth of the platform. The ideal candidate has sales experience in pertinent industries, such as fashion, luxury, design, and hospitality, and is capable of developing effective strategies to exceed sales goals.
As Director, The List, your responsibilities include but are not limited to, the following:
Business Development and Execution:
- Develop and execute a profitable business model for the growth of The List to provide an evergreen source of membership revenue.
- Develop sales strategy and identify marketing needs to produce membership growth
- Work to secure new revenue opportunities/clients/partners: lead prospect research and sales outreach, building client pipeline and closing monthly sales targets
- Grow and forge The List member partnership opportunities
Product Management and Development:
- Work across departments to develop product enhancements that drive demand
- Introduce and sell new features to members
- Analyze member feedback to guide the product roadmap
- Work with marketing team to enhance brand awareness in the relevant marketplace, ensuring successful execution of Business-to-business and Business-to-client campaigns
- Supervise The List staff, including Account Manager and Editorial contributors
- Develop hiring strategy against business plan, including business development and account management roles
- Set goals for team members and conduct annual reviews
- Manage P&L for The List
- Provide monthly revenue reports and projections to the CEO
- Minimum 5 years B2B sales experience
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong customer relationships
- Strong data analytics proficiency, able to digest data into actionable strategies
- Positive and tenacious attitude, able to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent communication skills: written, in person, and phone
- Proficiency with CRM tools, such as Salesforce, and ability to learn new software a must
- Knowledge of and a passion for the creative industries, including design, architecture, and fashion, among others
TO APPLY: submit resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements