Surface Media is looking for a self-motivated Special Projects Editor to produce long-form enterprise projects across digital, experiential, and print platforms with the satisfaction gained from shepherding Surface Media's special features, campaigns, and events from a content perspective. Reporting to the VP of Content, the Special Projects Editor’s responsibilities range from ideation and creation of narratives to assigning content from editing through production. The skill sets required are varied and the expectations high, but this job is a key component of Surface Media's success. From cover stories and special editions to digital campaigns to events, Surface’s enterprise projects are ambitious, high quality, thoughtfully developed, and often conceptual in look, feel, and experience.
The Special Projects Editor Will:
- Act as an editorial liaison among the various teams in the company, shaping the projects and communicating the editorial strategy to marketing and sales.
- Day to day, be responsible for a variety of duties, including project management, researching, writing, producing, and editing. On any given day, you might be tracking down a cover personality, maintaining a spreadsheet, creating a narrative for a tentpole event, or working with a team of writers and editors to produce and edit the rollout of a big feature package and coordinating with a designer and product manager to execute the project. You will collaborate closely with journalists across the newsroom, and liaise with other Surface Media departments such as marketing, product, and growth.
- Help identify press-worthy “coup” stories and narratives in our content.
- Pitch a concept or narrative crafted by the content team.
- Work with the content team and freelance contributors to manage departmental budgets and timelines.
- Act as a liaison among teams, ensuring adherence to content and company vision as it relates to large packages, award winning content, events, and series.
- Work closely with VP of Content to build and enhance Surface’s content franchises across various platforms.
- Collaborate with the analytics team to lead editorial strategy around SEO and high-impact events.
- Work closely with broadcast bookers, producers, and correspondents to tell stories across the brand’s platforms in additive—not duplicative—ways.
- Be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Be equal parts diplomat, persuader, and cheerleader—the job requires daily interaction with the Surface team internally as well as a host of creatives, specialists, technicians, developers, publicists, agents, and managers to bring creative vision to fruition.
- 5+ years experience as a senior editor in the lifestyle space.
- Experience using analytics tools to drive story selection and decision-making.
- 3+ years of event production or photo shoot experience.
- Excellent editing and writing skills and a bottomless list of fresh ideas for stories, multimedia experiences and new ways to engage with users.
- Knowledge of SEO, social best practices, and other distribution and syndication opportunities in the digital lifestyle space.
- Enthusiasm for Surface and passion for extending the brand into a digital design and lifestyle powerhouse.
- Established relationships in the design, architecture, and fashion worlds.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or other discipline emphasizing storytelling or multimedia creation.