Surface Media is looking for a self-motivated Director of Content Operations to handle daily content department operations. Reporting to the VP of Content, the Director of Content Operations will supervise the content team and freelance contributors and manage departmental budgets and timelines.
A strong preference will be given to candidates with both online and print experience, especially in design, architecture, art, and fashion. We are seeking 5+ years’ experience as an editor or managing editor, confidence in pitching and writing fast and informative content (with an eye for SEO-friendly headlines and copy), flexibility, and a sharp eye for detail. Daily digital publication experience preferred.
The Director of Content Operations Will:
- Control schedules and enforcing deadlines across content department and products.
- Oversee editing procedure and evaluate copy for content, style, and tone, and edit/fact-check as needed.
- Maintain the content calendar.
- Ensure that time-sensitive product announcements are drafted, reviewed, and released on schedule.
- Budget and allocate content resources to deliver a steady stream of content on multiple storytelling platforms.
- Oversee the content team's work to draft and edit email copy, digital printed materials, and other marketing content for an affluent, creative audience that is passionate about design.
- Have experience managing creatives, writers, and web producers.
- Be comfortable overseeing a growing staff in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories on multiple platforms.
- Respond nimbly to cultural and news events in Surface’s unique voice.
- Have significant experience writing and editing for a fast-paced digital newsroom with a design-savvy audience.
- Know how to motivate a team.
- Assist the VP of Content in thinking big-picture about the brand vision, and help execute said vision across multiple platforms and guide development of new products.
- Be organized and detail-oriented.
- Be ambitious about Surface Media’s growth in both output and audience
- Use an analytics-focused approach to guide content strategy and measurably improve website engagement and audience.
- Oversee execution of digital and adherence to content publishing standards for the site, newsletters, and platforms including but not limited to the following: copy, photos, galleries, video, infographics and data visualizations, re-circulation links, SEO best practices, etc.
- Coordinate editorial meetings.
- Work well with others. As the content department’s chief people officer, the Director of Content Operations must be invested in the overall well-being of department staffers and contribute to a thriving company culture.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines:
- Reporting to: VP of Content
Major internal working relationships:
- Content team, Growth, Analytics & Audience team, Video/Visuals, Product Development, Special Projects, and various other newsroom teams depending on initiative and projects. Also: Membership, Sales, and Commercial.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter (including salary requirements) and 3–5 relevant clips/links to both short- and long-form content for review.