For 25 years, Surface has produced thought-provoking content on architecture, art, design, fashion, and culture. We look at the world through the lens of design, reaching creative professionals who are educated, affluent, and influential. We set the standard for quality across a vast range of creative disciplines and industries. Surface Media is a holding company for designed focused media brands across print, digital, and experiential. We offer a clean aesthetic and incisive writing with an emphasis on process and craftsmanship. A compass for today’s creative leaders and a barometer for what’s new and what’s next, our content offers daily news updates, in-depth stories of leading thinkers and trends, events coverage, engaging videos and more.
The Vice President of Marketing of Surface Media reporting to the CEO/President and a member of the Executive Leadership Team of the company, will be responsible for all marketing functions. The VP of Marketing will be directly responsible for product marketing, PR/communications and branding across all Surface brands including print, digital and experiential. The VP of Marketing will work with the Executive Leadership Team to define business goals, KPIs and objective for the Marketing organization and will then be responsible to meet and exceed them. The VP of Sales will work closely with Sales, Content and Experiential teams to ensure business success.
- Work with the Executive Leadership Team to define business goals, KPIs and Marketing objective.
- Hire a marketing team that can support product marketing, PR, Corporate Communications and Branding.
- Redevelop the product marketing collateral and positioning to ensure integrated offerings across print, digital and events.
- Define a PR and Communications strategy that ties the brands together and secures a market leading position amongst its peers.
- Collaborate with Sales, Experiential and Content teams to ensure the business is aligned with brand guidelines and positioning.
- Create accountability within the company by developing appropriate metrics and coordinating compensation and promotions with these metrics to drive performance.
- Drive a “lean startup” style environment of constant experimentation and learning.
- The right candidate will have 8+ years in Marketing across product marketing, branding, PR and communications.
- The right candidate will have 4+ years in a marketing role at a publisher or media company.
- Self-Starter - ability to execute and implement change.
- Passion – for the company’s mission.
- Highly energetic personality – a motivator.
- Critical Thinking – strategic and highly analytical.
- Leadership – easily move others to action by planning, motivating, organizing and controlling work being done.
- Goal Oriented – naturally motivated to reach goals.
- Communication Skills – Strong written and verbal communications skills, an innate ability to channel different points of view; able to establish and maintain excellent relationships and credibility quickly; create team atmosphere with internal staff while achieving key objectives.
- Maturity – provide a good balance of risk taking and judgment; Is aggressive and confident; able to operate independently of a large staff.
- Professional – unquestionable integrity, credibility, and character; who has demonstrated high moral and ethical behavior.