Surface Media is a storytelling company that looks at the world through the lens of design. It includes print magazines Surface and Watch Journal; digital platforms at surfacemag.com and watchjournal.com; a custom publishing division, Surface Studios; a designer focused representation agency, Culture+Commerce; and a highly regarded event program including the Design Dialogues series. Surface is launching several new initiatives in 2017 and is looking for creative and motivated individuals to join its growing team. Watch Journal is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2017 and Surface magazine will celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2018.
The news editor oversees Surface's daily digital stories—producing timely pieces about design, art, architecture, fashion, and travel told in combinations of text, video, and photography—as well as FOB and BOB sections in print. The ideal candidate should be self-starter equally at home with editing content for the magazine and publishing regular posts for SurfaceMag.com. This position reports to the Features Editor and works in collaboration with teammates on the editorial and social media teams.
- Lead the daily content charge for SurfaceMag.com
- Work with Managing Editor to organize online editorial calendar
- Keep track of annual tent pole events, lead conversations around content planning for these events
- Research, report, write and/or edit daily short and medium length stories, shooting video and gathering audio assets
- Come up with new franchises for daily, weekly, monthly content online
- Develop and manage a stable of freelancers; help writers shape their story ideas to help them go beyond the news of the day
- Manage front of book sections, as well as other print sections, including Culture Club, Itinerary, Process, Studio Visit, and Ideas in Design sections
- Liaise with contributing editors and help edit their weekly stories
- Manage day-to-day homepage updates
- Partner with other editors and key departments including photo, video, social, PR, audience development, etc. to determine the best way to present information online and in book
- Contribute to development and execution of innovative digital strategies with an eye towards growth using traffic data and social-media feedback
- Be an active participant in Surface’s social strategy, including contributing to Facebook Live and Instagram Stories as necessary.
- 3 to 5 years of experience at a magazine or website, with at least 1-2 years of digital experience. (A mix of digital and print experience preferred, but candidates who have only digital experience should feel welcome to apply)
- Demonstrated track record in editing and writing high-volume, high-quality daily content, with news reporting experience an advantage
- Strong writing and editing skills with ability to contribute great ideas
- Comfortable with SEO and other digital best practices
- Familiarity with analytics and metrics tools
- Experience overseeing content from brainstorm to deploy—approving ideas, editing writers, building posts, etc.
- Has a small rosters of writers who can contribute regularly, and an interest in growing that roster
- Experience using a CMS; WordPress knowledge is a plus
- Social media-savvy
TO APPLY: submit resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements along with links to your social media accounts and projects (either personal, client, or both).